Questions with answers and scriptual references
41 to 60
Entry page and introduction to this Web Site.
We Tell A Tale
Background information about Australian swagmen and the like.
A classic daily devotional by Henry Bogatzky
Faith's Cheque Book
Dependable guarantees from the Word of God. .
Some Basic Texts
Some important and useful bible texts to understand and remember.
One Hundred Texts
Texts of evangelical and reformed importance arranged by the Irish Church Mission.
Alternate Web Site 1
Original web site of Swanny's Swaggy hosted with Optus Australia from 1996.
Alternate Web Site 2
Second copy of web site of Swanny's Swaggy hosted with 50Webs from 2017.
Comment and reflections, science and faith, and revival.
Catechism Questions and Answers.
Question 41: What is the sum of the ten commandments?|
Answer: The sum of the ten commandments is to love the Lord our God with all our heart, with all our soul, with all our
strength, and with all our mind; and our neighbour as ourselves (1).
(1) Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. Matthew 22:37-40
Question 42: Which is the first commandment?
Answer: The first commandment is,
Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Question 43: What is required in the first commandment?
Answer: The first commandment requires us to know (1), and acknowledge God to be the only true God, and our God (2), and to worship and glorify him accordingly (3).
(1) And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever. 1 Chronicles 28:9
(2) Thou hast avouched the LORD this day to be thy God, and to walk in his ways, and to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and to hearken unto his voice:
(3) Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. Matthew 4:10
Question 44: Which is the second commandment?
Answer: The second commandment is,"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; and shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments."
Question 45: What is required in the second commandment?
Answer: The second commandment requires the
receiving, observing, (1,2), and keeping pure and entire all such religious worship and ordinances
as God has appointed in his Word (3).
(1) And he said unto them, Set your hearts unto all the words which I testify among you this day, which ye shall command your children to observe to do, all the words of this law.
(2) Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. Matthew 28:20
(3) What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it. Deuternomy 12:32
Question 46: What is forbidden in the second commandment?
Answer: The second commandment forbids the worshipping of God by images (1). or any other way not appointed in his Word (2).
Take ye therefore good heed unto yourselves; for ye saw no manner of similitude on the day that the LORD spake unto you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire:
Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female, Deuteronomy 4:15, 16
Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
Question 47: Which is the third commandment?
Answer: The third commandment is, "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord
thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that takes his name in vain.
Question 48: What is required in the third commandment?
Answer: The third commandment requires the holy and reverent use of God's names
(1), titles, attributes (2), ordinances (3), Word (4), and works
(1) Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.
(2) And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints.
Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest. Revelations 15:3, 4
(3) Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear, than to give the sacrifice of fools: for they consider not that they do evil. Ecclesiastes 5:1
(4) I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name. Psalms 138:2
(5) Remember that thou magnify his work, which men behold. Job 36:24
(6) If thou wilt not observe to do all the words of this law that are written in this book, that thou mayest fear this glorious and fearful name, THE LORD THY GOD;
Then the LORD will make thy plagues wonderful, and the plagues of thy seed, even great plagues, and of long continuance, and sore sicknesses, and of long continuance. Deuteronomy 28:58, 59
Question 49: Which is the fourth commandment?
Answer: The fourth commandment is, Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor they cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowedit.
Question 50: What is required in the fourth commandment?
Answer: The fourth commandment requires the keeping holy to God such set times as he has appointed in his Word, expressly one whole day in seven, to be a holy Sabbath to himself
(1) Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:30
(2) Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.
Question 51: How is the Sabbath to be sanctified?
Answer: The Sabbath is to be sanctified by a holy resting all that day, even from such worldly employments and recreations as are lawful on other days (1), and spending the whole time in the public and private exercises of God's worship (2,3), except so much as is taken up in the works of necessity and mercy (4).
(1) Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings. Leviticus 23:3
(2) It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High:
To shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness every night, Psalms 92:1
(3) If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 58:13, 14
(4) And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days. Matthew 12:11, 12
Question 52: Which is the fifth commandment?
Answer: The fifth commandment is, Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy
days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
Question 53: What is required in the fifth commandment?
Answer: The fifth commandment requires the preserving the honour, and
performing the duties belonging to every one in their various positions and relationships as superiors
(1,2,3), inferiors (4), or equals (5).
(1) Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
Ephesians 5:21, 22
(2) Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Ephesians 6:1
Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; Ephesians 6:5
(3) Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Romans 13:1
(4) And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him. Ephesians 6:9
(5) Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; Romans 12:10
Question 54: What is the reason annexed to the fifth commandment?
Answer: The reason annexed to the fifth commandment is, a promise of long life
and prosperity -- as far as it shall serve for God's glory, and their own good -- to all such as keep this
(1) Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)
That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. Ephesians 6:2, 3
Question 55: Which is the sixth commandment?
Answer: The sixth commandment is, Thou shalt not kill.
Question 56: What is forbidden in the sixth commandment?
Answer: The sixth commandment forbids the taking away of our own life (1), or the life of our neighbour unjustly (2), or whatever tends to it (3).
(1) But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here. Acts 16:28
(2)Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man. Genesis 9:6
(3) If thou forbear to deliver them that are drawn unto death, and those that are ready to be slain;
If thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not he that pondereth the heart consider it? and he that keepeth thy soul, doth not he know it? and shall not he render to every man according to his works? Proverbs 24:11, 12
Question 57: Which is the seventh commandment?
Answer: The seventh commandment is, Thou shalt not
Question 58: What is forbidden in the seventh commandment?
Answer: The seventh commandment forbids all unchaste thoughts (1,2), words (3,4), and actions (5).
(1) But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. Matthew 5:28
(2) Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man. Colossians 4:6
(3) Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. Ephesians 5:4
(4) Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 2 Timothy 2:22
(5) But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; Ephesians 5:3
Question 59: Which is the eighth commandment?
Answer: The eighth commandment is, Thou shalt not
Question 60: What is forbidden in the eighth commandment?
Answer: The eighth commandment forbids whatever does or may unjustly hinder our own (1,2,3) or our neighbour's wealth, or outward estate (4).
(1) But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel. 1 Timothy 5:8
(2) He that tilleth his land shall have plenty of bread: but he that followeth after vain persons shall have poverty enough. Proverbs 28:19
(3) The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is a vanity tossed to and fro of them that seek death. Proverbs 21:6:
(4) Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth. Ephesians 4:28
This page was last modified or updated in March 2017.